Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Me and My Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point. I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

Today around the water cooler at coffee break a couple of the younger ladies were going on about flower boys, or 꽃미남.  When I heard what they were talking about, I snorted. I knew as soon as I had done it that I should have had my filter on high that day, since sure enough Ms. Lee immediately pounced on me:

Why Mr. Waeg, you don't like Korean flower boys? 

No, Ms. Lee, I do not.  They are vacuous empty boy toys.  But hey, I suppose if you're into that kind of thing, I'm not one to judge.

Oh, Mr. Waeg, you are so mean!  These guys are so cute and gentle!  And so well dressed! The rest of the world could learn much from these kind of men!  They are so kind and nice!

When she said this, I felt my eyelid twitch, and before I could stop myself I said:

Well Ms. Lee, I assure you the world does know about this kind of man.  Have you heard of Justin Bieber?  Why do you think he is so popular?  Because he has gaggles of young, mostly teenage, girls going insane over him.  And I understand: his blend of youthful androgyny and child like features is non threatening to younger women since he appears for all intents and purposes more feminine.  He appeals in the same way a puppy or kitten does: newborns are supposed to cute after all, so we feel a nurturing impulse, to protect and raise. I get all that.  And the 꽃미남 are no different: vacuous, plastic, with zero personality but hey, yes they do dress better and have better manners than Bieber I'll give you that. In this respect, they aren't much different then a dandy though, save that a dandy at least had more interest in self cultivation.  It wasn't simply about aesthetics, but being able to properly appreciate the beauty in all things.  I find it hard to imagine a flower boy cultivating much beyond a thorough understanding of hair products.  They are far too artificial.

I knew I had gone too far halfway through my rant when Ms. Lee's jaw dropped and remained in that position for much of the rest of the coffee break.  She was just trying to be nice, and instead of responding in kind I became asshole incarnate.  I'm sure one day she'll get over her obsession with flower boys, yet in the meantime she'll probably mistakenly think the reason I dislike them is that I could never be one, when really I simply dislike excessive artifice and vacuity.

Now, I do believe that stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping she won't hold a grudge against me and that her panties aren't in a knot about it. Still, I'm sure it'll be some time before Ms. Lee attempts to engage me in conversation. From experience, these types of conversation never end well, and it's best to just smile. When will I ever learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment