Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Camping 8.3!

meatGreetings all, Waeg here reporting from the wilds of Gangwon province!

In keeping with good waeg tradition, I'm out camping with a bunch of peeps from work. It's been a great time so far, with much hiking, grilling of animal flesh, and the imbibing of fermented grains by yours truly. Spirits are high and the mood congenial as we share war stories and tuck into some good food.




As I run the defacto camping club at work, and the old tent I bought at Costco a few years back is about to fall to pieces, I went out and bought a new one. I felt compelled, as the Kovea store in Wonju was having a massive blowout. OK, OK, it was only 25% off, but still! It sleeps ten comfortably and will serve well next winter, as the material is good quality. It did rain a bit, and it was nice watching the water just slide right off that bad boy in nice even sheets.


June was pissed when I came home with this massive canvas monstrosity, and I can understand her trepidation: I did spend over 1.3 million won, even with the discount, scooping up another bench and carry all bag in the process. While I will continue to sleep alone in the foreseeable future, no matter since: what a tent! I reminded her that generally when I do camping club activities, I charge the participants 30 thousand won each for gear rental on top of the other fees for food, site rental, firewood and the like, so after a year at most the tent will pay for itself. I won't have to deal with renting gear, which is time consuming and not always reliable, and I'd get to know the tent well. Her anger was somewhat assuaged when I gave her the cash for this weekend, which was almost a third of what I spent.

Back to it. Sadly I'm guessing there will be few mountain vegetables to pick as it is still a bit early in the season, and there is snow in the high mountains. I will be coming out again next weekend and at the end of the month, so I can wait for delicious durup and the like.

Time for coffee.  Here are some tunes I'm listening to on this glorious morning while waiting for the others to crawl out of that new awesome tent:


No comments:

Post a Comment