Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dad!

Tonight I watched Frozen for the 5th time with my girls.

I choose an added value approach, with 2 intermissions.

These are the videos they watched at moments I thought fitting:

RED from RED on Vimeo.



Sure, there was some random talk involved; mostly about how learning English on their own is worth something, as their Korean near surpasses mine.  Really it is about upping your game.  They're constantly being told they should ignore what is, which is about being soft: dad wat?  My mom's dad spent several year in prison because he got loaded and made too many jokes about Park Geun Hye's dad, and she had to eat a lot of fish as my grandmother was a fishmonger; and you, your mom the lily white protestant girl with a wannabee Orangeman father, allowed herself to be  impregnated by some French Catholic scum, you not being acknowledged as spawn for 6 years after your birth, until you on your own wandered into the correct cemetery and stood in front of the right tomb after you'd acquired the chocolate you set out for?  How does your father think of you now?  You've got a nerve to judge me!  Waeg as a dad, what do you know!  Why do you always bring it back to you??

Getting ready for them teenage year talks.  Hard to sell it to the folks back home, since it is about being something different, something apart.  But you'd think after all these years sorting things out, salty expats on the streets would have something more useful to say besides how they hate being here and how they can't.

Luckily it's only 11:23, and I'll not follow that train of thought, since one thing I've learned in my self imposed powerlessness is that those of my ilk can not see more than they choose to.  Something about pearls before swine as they say.  I'll not drink too much more, as 6:00 AM is close, and a new day dawns.  The hardest walk is about is begin.

I suppose I can have at least one more.

No comments:

Post a Comment