Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Animal Farm!

I started reading Animal Farm to the girls a couple of nights ago.  Tonight we finished the third chapter.

I haven't seen them this enthralled with a book since Harry Potter and when we first subscribed to ' Dog Poop Playground' 개똥이네 놀이터 (Daddy's hilarious! misreading of the Korean title, since daddy is somewhat of an idiot, but really it's that he likes taking the piss through stupid puns and intentional misreadings in his third language).  Should be interesting to see how they react when the hammer falls and Boxer is sold off to the knackers.

I mentioned to a coworker that I was reading it to them.  Aren't they a bit young?  Sure, the youngest could benefit from having a few more years, but as the girls are completely obsessed with Frozen these days, belting out Let it Be at 10000 decibels at least 5-6 times a week for the last three, I consider them ready and well prepared for understanding that not everything is as it may seem, so let's talk and write on metaphor and allegory.

Besides, years back when I ran my own tutoring / copy editing / study abroad / immigration counseling business, Animal Farm was an essential book for any of the students in the fourth grade and above.  Must keep up with the standard I set for the Joneses after all.

Tonight it was all about realizing that pigs are very smart, and know well how to manipulate others.  I'm saving the concept of 'playing the game' for later, as I've learned that bringing that in too soon can make some see all games as terrible, but I digress. Over the next few days, I'll work in more of the allegorical aspects, and what the pigs / horses / dogs / sheep may represent.  Reading in the correct tone at the correct place is crucial!  The eldest has already sussed out where the book is going, as it obviously is a fairy tale far removed from most of the pablum sold to kids.

For now, think I'll spend a bit more time on Fark.  Been a while since I've been there, and reading about people in Georgia freaking out over freezing rain and 2 inches of snow and gridlock for 12 hours (OMG I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO I WAS STUCK IN MY CAR AND COULDN'T LEAVE wait is that a starbucks and a 7-11 just over there and the radio is telling me nothing is moving and my smartphone is showing me ice storms and shit and how people need to really dig out of snow how'd i become such a softcock SHUT UP! I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE WHERE IS THE GOVIRNMENT MY TAX DOLLARS WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOOOOO??!!) makes me laugh and entertain how a cull may be in order.  I'm sure I could work that into our discussion somehow.  Probably best to save it for the Purge.

First, time for some more whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment