Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

It's Damn Cold!

Being a good drone, planning for days off when there would be the least disruption and the most contribution to the betterment of Korea Inc. has me in the wilds of Gangwon province with a head full of liquor tempered by a warm fire.  Mind, the fire is having to mitigate the Scotch Blue and L lager.

The spot I'm at is the standard camping park: son doesn't want to farm the land his parents made.  Dad is dead, but eldest son represented by providing a source of income for his mother, save he won't grow rice as he is too busy in Seoul.

I did invest in a new shelter, space heater, and a couple of solid winter sleeping bags; this is this is first time I invite the fam out into the first real taste of the 'wild'.  Really knowing what it means to be cold lets you appreciate privilege on more than basic terms,  something I wish I could talk more with the grandmother who has let her son turn this land into a campground.  This conversation would come to how most contempory Koreans can't understand Han, as they are fat and lazy; they have no idea what it is to go without.  But what do I know?  It's damn cold! And I digress.

My goal with my brood is to share how most nomads know you shouldn't sleep on less than cardboard no matter the temperature as your bones will become too close to the earth, but then I've only done that a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment