Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Chili New Year!

chili
Greetings all, Waeg here writing from the bowels of Gangwon province!

New Years Eve 2013 was a blast: a few families got together with some potluck, a pirate's horde of liquor, and put on a talent show. All the kids did a performance, with my girls doing a flute and singing duet. I also pulled out the old bass guitar, with all the kids banging on various pots and pans for percussion. A good time was had by all, although I should have left when I originally wanted: I was getting three sheets to the wind, but the hosts insisted we stay another hour and a half. Things got sketchy, and the next morning I was in a world of pain.

As I have largely recuperated, today I decided to make some chili: it has been a while, and about a week ago I found a bottle of cumin I forgot I had. Homeplus now sells kidney beans, so I threw a pile of hamburger, onions, celery, beans, a bell pepper, stewed tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, cilantro and a couple of fresh tomatoes in a pot and simmered it for a couple of hours. When it was done, I warmed up some taco shells and we went to town. It is delicious, although not quite as spicy as I'd like since I didn't want to steam out the girls.  I put half of it in the freezer for later.  Over dinner, the eldest was confused as to the difference between Arsene Lupin and Auguste Dupin, as she thought the former was created by Edgar Allan Poe, but the book she was reading said Maurice Leblanc; I cleared it up for her while ensuring her that Poe's character was way cooler.

Tired now. June is going off to Jeju by herself this weekend, spending a few days in quiet solitude; it should do her some good. I plan on being somewhat of a vegetable, as next week I plan on going winter camping and ice fishing for a few days.

Time for some 7Brau.

3 comments:

Baek In-je said...

They insisted you stay another hour and a half? Let me guess: the hosts were Korean. I used to hate the forced captivity after trying to leave such events. At work hwashiks, I'd just disappear.

Baek In-je said...

Happy New Year's, foreigner.

F5Waeg said...

yeah, they are Korean, but far from what most waegs think Koreans to be. They did say after they should have let me go, as there is still much to sort out what happened after. I guess I took the trash talk too far with one friend, and laughed at how another's name was close to painted whore (change a vowel, oops!)

Post a Comment