Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, October 14, 2013

Africa!

As soon as I saw these, I had to buy them. Probably won't smoke them, as who in their right mind would want to smoke a bunch of leaves dried by baboons over an open fire?

Some might see this brand as an extension of an imperialistic colonial mentality, what with Korea and other Asian countries exploiting Africa; however, these naysayers obviously know nothing of the special Korean situation: it isn't exploitation, it's all about bringing much needed Hallyu~! to the masses.

Gotta hand it the guys in marketing at This cigarettes; they certainly do come up with some unique packaging despite selling a pretty awful product; but then in Korea, the packaging often is more important than the content.  The bottom of the pack says: "Golden Sun Dark Dawn". I have no idea what that means, but I know having read it is an added bonus for purchasing number one world best Korean cigarette.

Time for a puff.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That packet is one to keep.

I remember smoking This Plus during my time in South Korea.

F5Waeg said...

I'm a traitor to the fatherland as I generally smoke waeg brands

welcometotheghostcoast said...

Thought you might like to know that BBC has picked up on these cigs. The ads are being pulled, although the company insists that it "didn't mean to offend."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24638074

F5Waeg said...

Saw that just this morning... I LOLd

F5Waeg said...

I love the spokesperson: when people think monkeys they think Africa. Guess they were unaware of the racial stereotypes about Blacks.

Baek In-je said...

I remember asking a kiosk owner for a pack of This, and he kept asking me over and over again. Finally, he said, "Ohhh...Dis-eh!"

F5Waeg said...

no no, it's 'Dis-uh!'. . . you gotta say it right or they'll look at you as if you have three heads

Post a Comment