Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Deep End!

I was soundly asleep when the youngest woke me: daddy, can you get me some water?

Usually she just gets that for herself.  She's competent and capable.  I knew she wanted attention.

Sure darlin'.  Be right back.

She drank deep and feel back asleep instantly.  This waeg however, could not.

So I hit the youtube.  I've got literally thousands of vids saved, so I went through the list.  After a few predictable boring choices, I clicked one I hadn't heard in a while:



Which brought me to an older version:



While listening, I thought: angry black people will rant that this is what happens when you put too much stock in white people.  You make the original all gospel to sell records, and feel dirty about it, maybe, since you know it is apart of you, but still a part, yet far from what you could have been if you had had the same tools, and didn't have to scrape; then 75 years later some white guy who lived through his moment of angst 45 years prior remixes it for some flick and makes more than you did that entire year, inflation adjusted. Then some Asian girl makes it her own as a means to deal with her own personal demons.  You might still feel good about how it still lives, and makes people sing, but if you're angry you won't entertain that until you've gone and gotten yourself dirty in some similar way.

Sign me up.  Oh wait, I already am?

No comments:

Post a Comment