Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, July 1, 2013

Mannatech!


Tonight I came home a bit earlier than usual (8:00 PM), to be greeted by June trying to push me into drinking a granular chocolate flavored gloop.  This will help you slim down, and quit smoking, and quit drinking!  It was created by Nobel prize winning scientists!

I looked at the container: "Mannatech!  With Ambrotrose and essential glyconutrients that will improve your quality of life!"

With that kinda pseudo-scientific babble, I had to do a google search.  It took me all of 3 minutes to sort out that it was a pile of malarkey, that the company had suffered huge losses from multiple lawsuits, that the company relied on pyramid sales to push their product, and that no independent scientific studies had proven increased cellular communication through the use of plant sourced saccarides.  I mean, just look at the former CEO in the pic: how could you trust anybody with a forehead that large sporting that cheesy insincere smile??

Apparently June got three containers of the crap for 12000 won, so it's not a huge loss.  But when I told her all this, she just said 'well, just wait and see if I become healthier!  Then we'll know for sure!'

So, um, despite what I've told you, you're still going to keep using this stuff even though it may actually cause you more harm than good?  But I left it at that, as I do indeed smoke and drink too much.

I got ready to get my rant on about how Koreans will buy any old crap if it has pseudo-scientific babble attached to it along with the words NOBEL PRIZE, but I remembered my grandmother: she constantly bought crap like that in the belief that it would help her lead a healthier life.  She also constantly went to a chiropractor, despite how often she could barely walk after coming back from a 'treatment', and ended up needing to use a wheelchair.  I always thought she really kept going because the 'doc' was a pretty good looking guy, and when you're old and sleep in a separate room from your spouse, human contact from anybody is appreciated.  Still, it did piss me off that she blew so much cash on stuff that was obviously not helpful.

Guess I should keep a more watchful eye on what kind of crap June brings into the house. 

Time for some lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment