Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lunar New Year!


Once again we hauled ourselves up past Uijeongbu to visit the in-laws for the lunar new year.

I didn't do so well at go-stop this year, losing 6 chonners. June's sister was on fire and ended up taking over 40.

The visit involved the usual eating of rice cake soup, a variety of side dishes, an endless stream of TV, and of course the gostop.

One cool bit was when we decided to try out a Brazilian BBQ place in Dongducheon. While it was an insane meat fest, it was easily one of the best meals I'd had all year. Two thumbs. You can find it right down the street from the main entrance to Camp Casey.

I didn't drink. I've been on the wagon for the last couple of weeks. In the past, June has asked why I drink so much, to which I reply that I'm just trying to place myself on the same level as everyone else around me. Korea is one of the places in the world that consumes the most alcohol per capita after all. Besides, if I'm hammered then I have the perfect excuse for doing all kinds of stoopid shit.

She was not amused.

Still, the whole fam was stunned by my sobriety. One of my sisters in law was greatly unimpressed, as we usually get hammered together.

I came back early: I wasn't too keen on sitting around watching TV for another day, so hopped a bus back to the Wonj. When I got home, I spent the time reading and catching up on cat pictures from the internet.

Time for some more citrus tea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, so it's a Brazilian restaurant named after a South African ethnic group, while being an official English speaking 'resturant'. . . they have their own way of doing things in South Korea. I'll take your word that it was good.

F5Waeg said...

It was good; given the chance I'll go again. I did laugh at the name and the sign as well, but that's just a typical English fail, or as it is often explained to me, English used by Koreans for Koreans.

Post a Comment