Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Needle!

June has had problems with her stomach for years.  She has always insisted on going to a traditional doctor, claiming that the foul smelling shit tonic they sell her for 400 bucks works best to ease her pain.  She also goes for acupuncture when things are particularly bad.

I will say I've had some good results with acupuncture myself, especially when I pull a muscle.  But I do think that for the most part, western medicine is more reliable.

Lo and behold, June's faith in traditional medicine has been shaken!  Last Thursday she called me up while I was getting ready to head out to a company dinner with the CEO and the VIPs from Singapore.  She was in such pain that she could barely walk.  She had just left the acupuncturist's, and needed me to pick up the girls.

This was a pretty serious predicament, but I could tell she was hurtin'.  I risked looking bad in front of the bosses by getting the girls and bringing them to dinner with them.  In the end, everything played out well, although I did have to pay for the girls' dinner.

When we got home, June showed us what they problem had been: the 'doctor' had left one of the needles embedded in her chest.  June found it after she got home and lay down, and once the needle was removed the pain pretty much abetted instantly.

That's pretty messed up.

The next day she went back to the clinic, and was way cooler about it then I would have been: she told the doctor she understands that mistakes do happen, but what she couldn't get was how nobody listened to her when she complained repeatedly about the severe pain she was enduring, and that they had told her to simply go home.  She demanded compensation, and felt pretty good walking out of the clinic with a hundred thousand won.

A hundred thousand won?  You could have been seriously injured!  You settled for a measly hundred thousand won??

She said she was also going to tell everybody about what happened.  I'm like great, get sued too for defaming the doctor's name.  Even if what you say is true, in Korea this can't form a  defense against libel.  All that matters is whether what you say damaged a person's reputation, regardless of how accurate what you say may be.

Anyway, I'm thinking that leaving the needle somewhere fitting might be in order, like under the doctor's front tire.  But I didn't say that, no, I did not.

Time for some random stoopidz from the interwebz.

1 comment:

Jellie said...

What? That's really pretty messed up man. Thank goodness the needle didn't get deeper.

Post a Comment