Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Shovel!

Today the fam went off to Seoul to go visit June's friend's new cafe. Originally the girls were to stay with me, but at the last minute June took them with her. So I did the only sensible thing when home alone and decided to reorganize the metal shelving units in the veranda.

One thing that should be made clear is that I've been using the back of the van as storage for quite some time now. I didn't appreciate just how much space in the apartment I was saving until I hauled the lot upstairs. A fleeting sense of accomplishment almost made me forget the three or four times I seriously banged my wrapped up finger, but I'm the kind of guy who won't stop until the job gets done. Getting started is another story altogether, but I made myself feel even better when I found a nearly full pack of smokes buried in one of the tarp bags, and a bag of fishing gear I'd thought lost.

But I realized I was missing one of my shovels. I remembered taking it out of the van when I cleaned the floor mats, so took a quick walk over to the car wash to pick it up.

What? Shovel? No shovel here. You must have made a mistake.

I left it leaning against that post. Are you sure? It's a grey metal shovel.

No shovel like that here. I can't help you.

On a lark, I walked around to the back where they have a vegetable garden. Imagine my surprise when I see a grey metal shovel.

Here it is, thanks. Sorry for the trouble.

The woman looks fit to burst: that isn't your shovel, you can't take it. I'm calling my husband.

The husband confirms it is their shovel. She says he's on his way.

OK, sorry, it's true these shovels are fairly common. Still, why did you say you didn't have one like it?

We have many shovels here, I can't keep track of them all. This is our shovel, you can't take it.

Sorry to bother you.

I went home scratching my head. On the way, I stopped at a hardware store and bought another nearly identical to it for 9 chonners. The last one had cost me eight. Ah, inflation.

Surprisingly, I wasn't that upset; it could have been their shovel, and if not if they're willing to get so worked up over 8 bucks, they probably need it more than me. I went back home and finished organizing the shelving units.

Time for bed.

5 comments:

Beaner said...

It's the principal. Should of had a distinguishing mark that identifies it to you. Like your name or the last 4 of your ID and your initials.

Anonymous said...

Learn from the Marines, and old Skilled Tradesmen like me: Write your name on everything-tools,jackets, garbage cans,whatever.

F5Waeg said...

Goes out and buys permanent marker.

Phillip Miner said...

Maybe you can use that shovel to shovel some of the shit off your blog. Ha! Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Juls said...

That's awful. Next time be more careful of your things.

Post a Comment