Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, August 13, 2012

Rock Hard!


Today around the watercooler I listened in bemusement as one adjumma called out another over the rock hard firmness of the peaches she'd been hawking in the office:

Your peaches are usually so tasty younger sister! But this year you brought them in too early! You should have let them ripen on the tree longer before picking them!

I know, I know! But if you let them sit a few days they'll be fine! I had to pick them earlier since they go bad very quickly if we pick them too late!

Even if I let them sit they still aren't as juicy! Please bring me some more in a few weeks once they're riper!

This is actually a gripe of mine, how fruit producers will often harvest their crops well before they're fully ready to ensure the maximum profit on their wares. I hate paying 3.5 or 4 manners for a box of peaches that are rock hard, or grapes that are much too sour since they should have stayed on the vines longer. It was nice to hear someone else voice it, and it wasn't just a question of a stoopid waeg not understanding the special Korean situation.

Luckily, we know a few small growers just outside the Wonj who always save some for us and let us know when to come pick them up. Some of the best peaches I've ever had have been from them, but you have to be patient.

Back to work.

2 comments:

Yuna said...

I've got a box of juicy peaches for you big boy. Fuzzy, wet, ripe, and sweet. All you need to add is some cream and you'll be licking your fingers. Rock hard isn't good unless it's juicy.

F5Waeg said...

How suggestive...

Post a Comment