Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Flexplace!

Stolen from here
Lately the company has been experimenting with flexplace, allowing some employees the option to work at home instead of being stuck in the office.  The idea is that employees will be happier, more productive, and it will save the company money on daily maintenance and overhead, what with not running as many air conditioning units, computers, and the like.

So far it hasn't been a huge success.  It's working great for women with children, and younger married men.  Those who are unmarried or older are generally still in the office 8-6 or beyond.

I haven't taken advantage of it.  I've learned that if I spend too much time at home during the day, June invariably becomes annoyed that I'm constantly sitting in my man den staring at the computer.  She thinks this equates not working, and will begin suggesting I get at some home improvement stuff, housework, or take her out places.

What is interesting to note is that the majority of people who are not taking advantage of the program are older married men.   I wonder why that is har har.  People will get on the typical adjusshi about how he is generally absent from the family unit, but I'm a bit more sympathetic: if their wives are anything like mine, the only time you can get some peace and quiet is to stay away from home.  If you work full on and you get a day off a week at best, it isn't unreasonable to think that you may just want to sit quietly in a room and not deal with the hordes at a beach, or run through the mob at emart, or fight through a three hour traffic jam to move 60 miles.

But then, I may just feel the urge to go fishing next week. . .

2 comments:

Roarchild said...

Seems a trap to me .... I just can't imagine Koreans who wouldn't judge people as slackers if they are not physically there.

F5Waeg said...

yeah I don't have such a great feeling about it. If I need to skip out, think I'll just continue doing it on the sly without putting in the official docs.

Post a Comment