Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Weekend!

This weekend I bundled the fam into the van and visited the in-laws.  We just got back a couple of hours ago, and I can't sleep despite the insane day I have tomorrow.  A can of magic green potion topped with a can of red bull will do that to a person.

I'm busily working my way through jugs of rice wine to help me sleep.  Two in, and safe to say it isn't working. I busied myself with sorting a better workaround for the electrical issue, as the electricians did not come in and sort out the problem with the leak.  Word is they'd rather just wait and see, which means probably wait until it rains again.  They said they had to let it dry out, but to continue running extension cords throughout the house to juice up the kimchi refrigerator, fridge, coffee maker, and everything in my man den is a pain in the ass.

We went to visit the brother in-law.  He recently moved back to Korea with his Chinese wife.  There was some convoluted story that didn't hold much water as to what actually happened to his jewelry making business in Tsingtao, but his new apartment is pretty nice.

His wife is 20 years younger than him.  She's not a bad looking woman who speaks better than intermediate Korean.  They've been dating for a good five years, so I'd say she's motivated.

She hasn't taken to me much, but I digress.

One of the highlights was watching a movie called 완득이 starring Jasmine Lee, the newest member of parliament causing so many Korean racists to lose their collective shit.  June picked it up at the video store, and I initially laughed at actually renting a movie, but it was pretty good.  Two thumbs.  Need to see more of that kind of thing, but told from the girl's point of view who tracked her dad down to some remote fjord in Norway.  That could be a great movie.

Shut up brain, go to sleep.

No?  OK then, here's some youtube videos and fermented rice.  Watch the second with the sound off at the same time as the first.  In fact, better to read / watch / think whateva else as you listen to the tune once you get about eight times in.  Think that instead of saying 'cinema', he's saying 'cinnamon'.  It's more racist that way.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story is kid's book.

F5Waeg said...

The author looks a little scattered. Great story.

Post a Comment