Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Laptop!

Recently I decided I was tired of using the work laptop when on business trips.  It was probably cutting edge back in 2007-8.  Now, even trying to get it to hook into hotel wifi is at times a chore, and it weighs a ton.  As I was just given a brand new desktop at work, asking for new laptops would have been a stretch.  I decided that throwing out a bit of my own coin for a decent machine would be a fairly sound investment.

I spent a couple of hours on Monday looking through the wares available on the internet.  It was only about a day after I ordered one that the seller informed me there would be a delay of an extra 3-4 days for delivery.  As this defeated the purpose of me buying it now as I wouldn't be able to bring it with me on my next trip, I headed down to my local Samsung Digital Plaza, just across from the Tattoo field and new swimming pool.  I figured I'd go with the local, getting decent after service and a friendly smile when I walked in.

Oddly, I was essentially ignored when I walked in, with none of the typical 'anyonghaseyo' that the staff will usually throw at you from across the store.  As I browsed, none of the staff came forward, except one timid girl who kept a bit of a distance.  In the middle of the laptop section, some older adjusshi busied himself with looking at the news on Naver.  This went on for a solid 15 minutes.  I wondered if it may be a new hands off sales strategy.

You have to understand Korean in store service.  Usually as soon as you walk in, someone's on you; in fact it can be quite irritating.  They follow you around, ready to get you exactly what you need now, without giving you time to think about anything.  As I was prepared to lay out about 100 manners on a new laptop, and was looking at the high end stuff, I was surprised that no one came around to ask specifically what I needed, as I did have questions on the specs of a couple of machines.

So I left.  After waiting to ask about a machine that was priced at 120 manners, but getting only timid girl at a distance, adjusshi barely looking up, the young guys all congregating around the cash register, I walked out.

I went to my favorite hi-mart and was jumped on as soon as I walked in the door.  Within 20 minutes I walked out with a laptop that surpasses my current desktop, with an 8 gb USB and mouse thrown in.  Price: 82 manners.  I knew I was getting hosed when I did a quick search on the web with my smartphone where I found the model for about 20 manners less, it is a refurbished model with an upgraded graphics card, memory, and processor.  As I kind of needed it now, I went and bought it.

One consolation is I get to say: fuck you Samsung Digital Plaza Wonju.  You guys suck.  Look at this laptop!  I bought it after leaving your store!  You could have had my money, but instead I gave it to a competitor!  Next time get a sales representative to haul ass when you see an irritated looking customer scanning around for one.

Time for some Max.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to go Pretty Woman their ass.

Anonymous said...

Phone the fucking head office. Seriously, who wouldn't make a better secret shopper than a white male.

Anonymous said...

You should have walked by the store with your new laptop under your arm and a big smile on your face

F5Waeg said...

I seriously considered doing just that, but had better things to do with my time.

Post a Comment