Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, July 23, 2012

Korean Wave!

After a few more short meetings early on, I discovered I had the morning free, so wasted no time in heading out and exploring the neighborhood going walkabout for a solid couple hours.

Upon entering a mall, I was surprised at just how much Korean Wave I saw.  There was a shop devoted to Korean fashion called 'Miss Korea', a large section of Korean drama and film on DVDs in the main courtyard of said mall, including a large screen playing some random soap opera; but the most obvious example was when I saw a couple of young girls who had Korean names written on their backpacks.  At the risk of seeming pervy, I went up to them and asked where they were from in Korean.  Turned out they were Singaporean who'd had the names of their favorite Korean actresses written on the back of their backpacks.

I suppose the moment would have been more poignant had I allowed the names of some more Korean actresses populate my consciousness, but I've generally avoided filling my brain with that kind of stuff since my teens and really see no reason in beginning to do so now.

Still, it was an odd experience.  I remember watching Arirang on TV late one night my last run through, but nothing was that evident last time.  I asked a few of the Singaporeans when I got back to the office, and they assured me the Korean Wave is alive and well, at least in Singapore.

Over the next few days I'll work it into the conversation a bit more, see if I can get some more on it; it does seem to appeal more to females than males, which would be par for the course considering all the Japanese housewives who went nuts over Winter Sonata a few years back.

Until then, back to filling out TPS reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment