Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Innovate Right Now!

Today I found myself with some free time in the afternoon.  I decided it would be a fantastic idea to go catch Dark Knight Rises.

Sadly, the timing was off, and I had to settle for the Spiderman re-imagining as I couldn't wait the 93 minutes until the next showing of Batman.  Ultimately, it was like Spiderman meets Batman, considering the emphasis on tech for his web, but that really wasn't what caught my attention.

As I watched the obligatory PSAs at the beginning of the film, I was surprised how many emphasized innovation.  Most of them were put together by middle schools and were government subsidized.

Don't throw that shit away, improvise.  Innovate.  Find a way to make it work under the circumstances.

This really did hit home, as currently a section of the team is getting a pile of gear sent over from Korea since it would ultimately expedite and make the project work better, since they are well versed in the specs on their own tech, despite the three to four day downtime.  While this ultimately means I will probably have to stay here longer as I wait for them to get sorted I wonder:

I've seen a lot of Koreans who can jerry rig all kinds of shit to make it work.  But that seems to be considered a thing of the past, as now you can simply order in whatever to make it work the way they expect it to and are used to.

What if they rekindled this drive?  What if they could see the same PSA and remember what it is to makeshift, to adapt and be more flexible under whatever circumstances that may arise?

What if they took this lesson back with them from Singapore?  Combined with the last minute art form that is uniquely Korean . . .

Wow.

Bah, maybe I'm just rambling.

Time for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment