Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dirty Foreign Men!

If you've been keeping up on Korean news and the waegosphere in general, you're well aware of the nasty piece of sexist and racist tripe that MBC tried to pass off as a current events show not too long ago.  If you haven't seen it, here, enjoy:

Update: the film has been removed, undoubtedly due to bullying from MBC; however, you can still see it here and here

I wrote about this earlier (in fact most of the 'lost in trasnlation' and 'Me and my big mouth' categories are about that kinda thing).  I couldn't really bring myself to get really worked up about it at the time, since I see it as just par for the course of living in Korea: as a foreigner you're going to deal with this so deal with it.  Yet I couldn't help but realize today that the last few weeks my behavior has definitely been short with some of my more trying Korean coworkers - the type who have obvious difficulty even contemplating having a conversation with a waeg, yet alone have one that doesn't end up in pointing out how un-Korean you are or how hard you're trying to become Korean by eating kimchi or using chopsticks well.

I've brought myself to the point where I say: at least I don't have to put up with the 'Korea has four distinct seasons' line I used to get when I first came to this fine peninsula; everything is alright!'.  I still occasionally worry about my children's future if they stay here, or how it affects my wife being married to me.  I know June occasionally goes hyper-Korean on me, saying if I was more Korean I'd do this, or how she wished I would sometimes do that;  I try to remember that she's dealing with her own shit being married to a waeg and all, and let stuff slide off.  All this sliding off however, is really starting to take a psychic toll.

This was why I really enjoyed reading the latest post over at Gusts of Popular Feeling.  Click the link, it's good.  The video that goes along with deserves to be reposted:



Thanks Matt.  Definitely food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment