Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cave Crickets!

Lately around work I've been seeing more diestrammena coreana, more commonly known as the cave cricket, camel cricket, weta, or 곱등이 in Korean. I got totally freaked out one day after coming in from a smoke break when I felt this thing crawling on my neck; I quickly brushed this monster off my back. They can actually jump quite far, which I also discovered as I tried to catch it to throw outside.

I became more uncomfortable while reading up on this freakish bug when I found it is is often home to the hairworm, or Nematomorpha, Gordian worm, or 연가시 in Korean. While not known to infect humans, reading up on parasites led me back to the kimchi scare of a few years back and how more and more people in Korea are walking incubators for all kinds of parasitic nastiness.  I was tested for parasites about a year ago when I was feeling constantly sick, but I came back negative on all counts, so yah me.

It did make me want to see the Korean movie of the same name which came out earlier this year, where mutated parasites take over people and cause them to commit suicide through drowning.  Personally, I think a better story would have seen hordes of parasitic zombies bringing about the end of civilization, but the zombie genre never really took off in Korea and is a bit passe at this point anyway. I will download the new Resident Evil movie once it's available, as I'm a sucker for that post-apocalyptic evil corporation shlock.

Time for coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment