Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Toothfairy!

For the first time, tonight the toothfairy came under direct cultural attack when the youngest told how we were also supposed to throw the tooth onto the roof of the house when I helped the eldest remove her newest loosie.

I was a bit rough about it as I stuck my fingernail slightly under the tooth and simply flicked, but I digress.

The Korean version of the story has it that when a kid loses their tooth, you are supposed to throw it on the roof of the house so that a magpie can come collect it and bring the kid a new one.  June explained that Koreans didn't give money back in the day as they were poor.  Seems about time to update that old story, hmmm?  Although it would be awesome to go up to the roof of my apartment and see all kinds of kids' teeth scattered all over the place.  I've been shilling the toothfairy for a good two years now, laying out obeggars (500 won) per tooth, and figure that the topic of cultural differences and shared commonalities needs to soon be addressed.  

I once accidentally gave the youngest a chonner, but I explained it away as the toothfairy having found the tooth she had lost when she fell into the hole a while back, so was doubling up.

The eldest is pretty savvy, and I think she's on to the fact that the toothfairy is in fact yours truly.  Tonight she wrapped her tooth up in paper, tied it with a bow, and placed it in nice container.  I felt like saying how the fuck is the toothfairy going to get into that shit, but instead asked if the container was big enough for a 500 won coin.  We'll see how she packaged it later when I go to place the 500 won.  Still, no easy task as I'll need to get the container first.

While googling for images of tooth fairy dad, I came across the movie in the photo.  I am so glad I did not know it existed until now, and will work diligently to ensure I never watch it.

Time for some Max.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised by that toothfairy movie; it was actually well-written with Steven Merchant and Billy Crystal...the second one was really bad

Post a Comment