Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Potato Pork Spine Stew!

Korean Food Pron: waegs eating hansik
Most long time readers of my stoopid blog will know that I love potato pork spine stew.  In fact of the waegs I've known over the years usually only the vegetarians can't get behind it, that shit is that damn tasty.

Of late, I've taken to making it myself.  After watching the Mother-in-Law and June make theirs, I figured I could make my own.

This weekend was my best yet.  As it was a stay at home weekend, I ended up making chicken soup, frying bacon egg sandwiches, grilling a steak, and finally, some potato pork spine stew.

I actually started it Friday night.  Letting the meat soak overnight in water with some salt and garlic is a good start.

The next day I boiled it for a few hours in the morning.  Then I let it sit until this afternoon.

I then mixed the sauce together: soy bean paste, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, chili.  While doing this, I cut up a bunch of potatoes, onions, and more ginger in the pot.  Once they had cooked, I then added more onion, sesame, kimchi, and the sauce.

This is where it got good thanks to serendipity: while I let this go at a low boil, I went out and got what should have been a quick haircut.  While there, I ran into one of my bosses and ended up having to chat a bit.  By the time I got back, I was dismayed to see that all the potatoes had actually disintegrated into the soup.  I cut up a bunch more and simmered until the new potatoes were cooked.

Everyone agreed it was damn near the best potato pork spine soup evar.  The potatoes disintegrating into the soup gave it a nice thick consistency and an awesome flavor.  Note to self: put potatoes in sooner next time during the soaking phase, and see if they still make awesomeness.

And here I always complained about there not being enough potatoes in my potato pork spine stew when I eat out.  I can only assume this is what is supposed to happen.

Time for some rice wine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good.

Do you have a recipe?

Can you use other meat?

Cheers,

Ben

F5Waeg said...

I've had it made with chicken before, not as good. The paste or sauce for the broth is basically about a cup of soy bean pasye, half a cup of chili paste, then finely chopped ginger, garlic to taste, some pepper. An important ingredient is the kimchi, not too much but better if you put in some more of the juice from the bottom of the container.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks.

I'll give it a shot sometime Weag and see how I go.

Ben

Post a Comment