Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Me and My Big Mouth

Pass me the bottle
Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

This afternoon around the water cooler I ended up spending time speaking with one of the Gold Misses at work. She's in her mid to late 50s, a woman that even as a younger man I would take a run at. She was asking pointed questions about what I did before I came to work at the company.

I talked about the immigration work I did, helping several families make a new life in xyz country.  I talked about the private tutoring I did, the business classes and the gigs at companies.  I talked about the bread and butter, teaching kids how to face interviews or speech contests, and how to read a book and write an essay.  I talked about teacher placement, setting up classes in Chinese and Japanese.  I also talked about copy editing, proof reading, and ghost writing.

Ghost writing? 

Sure, I bragged.  Technically I have three PhD s. 500 manners and six weeks and I too can write your thesis.

She was aghast.  This was for Korean universities?  I was clueless to the warning signs and forged ahead:  Sure.  Two in English education and one in Biochemistry.  I don't know a damn thing about biochemistry, but dude was accepted.  And the two in English education actually made me a better teacher.  Too bad I can't list them on my resume haha nudge nudge wink wink.  I actually had to get somewhat nasty with one of them, as they were demanding I accept a lesser amount of money since it had been 'too easy' for me.  Never mind that the thesis was accepted, the fact that I pulled it off in 5 hard weeks when they had been working at it for 3 years necessitated in their mind I get paid less.  It was awful: of what they sent me more than 50% had been simply ripped verbatim off the web.  When they tried to pay me less, I simply offered to send dated files and emails to their advisers, showing exactly what work had been finished when.  They paid up.  Two are now professors, one at a SKY school.  The other is a researcher for a major Korean conglomerate.

It was at this point that one of the younger guys chimed in: would you care to be interviewed by a newspaper?  My friend is a reporter and would love to hear your story.

Shit.  No, definitely not.  I shared my stories of dealing with newspapers, and how they seem hell bent on only making waegs look bad or writing stories about them making kimchi; if they aren't white, they'll write stories about how hard done by they are.  Fuck you.  It seemed a moot point to bring up that you do what you can to get ahead, especially when you live in a place that leaves you little choice but to get maverick

While I said all this, she looked sullen silent and judgmental.  I think she may be sore at me.  Given the many scandals concerning degree forgery, and how many Koreans have been caught faking it, with even those who study abroad taking advantage of the same service, I must have twigged the ethical nerve.

Now, I do believe that stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping she won't hold a grudge against me and that her panties aren't in a knot about it.  From experience, these types of conversation never end well.  You can't win and its best to just smile.  When will I ever learn?

7 comments:

brier said...

500 hundred manners: Is that...

(500 X 100 X 10,000)

Or (500 X 10,000)

The first seems a bit extravagant, the later seems you were far underpaid. If I was ( and that is a big if) to ghost write a PhD it would be for about 15 million or is 5 million the going rate?

F5Waeg said...

500 만원 = 5 million.

I based my cost on what most ghost writing sites would charge at the time, considering the amount of work and research I needed to do.

I too thought the price was actually a bit low considering the amount of work and the potential benefits they'd earn once entering the work force. . . which is why I was quite pissed when they tried to pay me less. I don't do that kind of thing anymore, walking the straight and narrow.

Anonymous said...

Man, no offence but you must have been freaking NUTS to admit that plagarization crap to a Korean. And a seemingly educated one, at that...

I've only been in Korea for 8 months, and I already INSTINCTIVELY know that opening yer mouth like that - in ANY culture/office space - is a BIG NO-NO~~ Let alone freaking Korea.

I'd keep it shut next time, if I were you. After all yer time here~~ It's KOREA man; what're you expecting from these guys when the blowback hits (which it will): a flow of Aristotlian logic???

lol~~

'Gusts of popular feeling man'...I see it every day in this fucking elementary school. so I'd imagine an office type, professional environment (where you're probably just tolerated as it is!) is one place in this place where you gotta keep it shut...

think of yer family man..

respectfully yours,

M.

F5Waeg said...

yup. Hence me and my big mouth.

Anonymous said...

You're an honest man~~

...from the Twilight Zone that is Busan Elementary Education - not to mention my mysterious place in it!

Surreally Yours~~

matt said...

On a not-unrelated topic, this Korea Times article. Now these are the kind of people you want legislating AIDS tests for NSETs. Not that they ever did pass a law in that regard...

Anonymous said...

No way I would ever write a dissertation for a Ph.D. Too much work. You would have to pay me.

Wait a minute...

Post a Comment