Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Phished!

On my way home from work, I received a call from what was supposedly a representative of a bank I occasionally use.  They wanted to know if I would like to link my ARC number to my debit card to ensure extra security.

I was like, what?  Don't you already have my number?  I was genuinely confused as the person spoke in an unusual way with some unfamiliar Korean words.

The person switched and they started in broken English: would you like to link your ARC number to your check card?

I don't have a check card, only a debit card.  Your bank won't give me anything else but.  Are you offering me a credit card?  I'd love one of those.

No no we would like to link your debit card to your ARC number.  If you want a credit card you should go to visit your bank.

At this point it was pretty phishy.  I said I would do that, and link the card at the same time, thank you have a nice day goodbye.

This is the second time in two months that someone has tried to phish me.  The first time was one morning finding a brown envelope on my car stating that I hadn't paid my car tax, and needed to contact the person listed.  I thought June had paid that off, but apparently she hadn't.  I called, and he knew that I had moved, exactly how much I owed, all my car information, and said to deposit the cash in a bank account he gave me.  A couple of days passed before I could take care of it, and lo and behold when I tried to deposit, the screen told me that the account had been disabled.  A visit to city hall proved that they had never heard of the guy, and they gave me the correct bank info to pay my car tax.

Looks like yours truly had some information stolen not too long ago.  Who can I sue?

Time for some Daepo.

No comments:

Post a Comment