Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Kindergarten Drama!

Today June let me know that the youngest was having trouble at the kindergarten and she wants to send her to a new one.

What's the problem?  Well, she is having a hard time with nap time.  She doesn't want to sleep.

This brought a chuckle from me.  I was kicked out of a kindergarten when I was five since I would not sleep.  That and I picked the lock to the bathroom while the teacher was in there taking a dump, but I'm sure that was incidental.

That isn't a big deal.  So what?

Well, some of the boys, two in particular, are causing problems.  They keep trying to inappropriately touch the girls.

That isn't unusual.  Aren't the teachers and parents dealing with it?

Then she tells me that this has been going on for months, the parents and teachers are doing nothing, the latter mostly just complaining about having to discipline the youngest for not sleeping.  I begin to see red.

I call up a couple of the dads.  They know nothing about it.  I call up one of the moms; she tells me she is pulling her daughter out of the kindergarten since nothing has been done, and her daughter has been another focus of unwanted attentions.  She blames primarily the parents.  She is also not happy that the head teacher doesn't want to retire and wants a raise.

Wtf.  It's the first I hear about any of this, despite being on the education and maintenance committees.

I call the youngest's teacher.  She claims the boys aren't doing anything anymore.  So why is it that my daughter wants to go home early every day during nap time?  If she wants to run around, just let her.  I know you want to have your afternoon break, but is it really that hard to keep an eye on her as she plays outside?

This is the third major issue with that teacher.  The first was when she forgot to bring the youngest along with her on a field trip since she 'forgot' that she was sleeping in her room.  The second was when the youngest went missing and turned up a couple of kilometers away, deciding she wanted to go walkabout.  She really does take after me, as I too once walked halfway across the village when I was four.  I wanted to get chocolate at the nearby chemists.

The teachers at the kindergarten have it pretty good: more than double the average salary for that kind of job, no weekends, at least one extra day off guaranteed per month, parents who come in and help with meals, clean, and work extra curriculars.  I don't want to think about how many times June and I have prepared decorations, meals, and gifts for all the kids on a birthday.

Sucks.  But then I could find better uses for the 300 manners I've got in the place for key money.

No comments:

Post a Comment