Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

M!

M and I had been friends for years, that kind of early college connection that could end up in at least a makeout session if the mood, temperament, and amount of liquor is right.  She sold herself as a good straight up Christian girl, a beast I generally avoided due to their lack of perspective and my own general intolerance at the time.

M was different from the standard Christian soldier, having a sharp mind and a sharper tongue, and I appreciated the odd mixture of things that should not be.  She embodied an aspect of Madonna / Magdalene that sets young men rutting, the standard saint during the day and whore at night, yet embodied in such a way that drew more than a gaze from this jaded soul.  It was potent, and I enjoyed the repartee. 

The conversation was often spiced and quick, but then would revert to lame tangents on church and boredom.  I'd extricate myself, and often weeks or months would pass before we crossed paths again.  This went on for years.

I never saw myself being with her, as I courted women who had settled what they were about, who knew their own self worth and pursued their desires.  M was stuck between flesh and communion.  Too many young men get caught chasing that kind of woman, thinking they will be the One.  It's a mug's game, a lesson the more astute learn in high school.  I saw how she played such boys, and teased her about her lack of faith and Christian charity.  After such a conversation, she would avoid me for weeks or months.  This went on for years.

I was on the friend ladder, wasn't interested in being anywhere else, and made no attempt to cross over. 

Until she came back to town after a year in Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment