Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Me and my Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

Lunch today consisted of eel.  I've come to hate eel, but as a good trooper I tried to eat some anyway.

Noticing that I was picking at my food and focusing mostly on the side dishes, one of my coworkers Shin asked: Waeg, don't you like eel?  It is nutrition well being food.  You are man, you should eat more; it is good for your stamina hyuk hyuk hyuk.

I blinked.  Before I could catch myself, I said: naw, I don't really care for it.  I used to somewhat enjoy eating it, but got turned off it one night when I was 'forced' to eat too much at one sitting.  For some reason, I couldn't really get into it after that.  I'm not sure how it can be good for man, as it's quite soft and mushy, hyuk hyuk hyuk.

One of my other coworkers, who knows that my kibun has been off lately due to family and piles of work, tried to salvage it through redirection: do they eat eel in your country?

I was already in for a penny, so: generally not.  As kids if we caught one we'd kill it right out, as they eat the more sought after fish like trout.  Some have been known to eat eel, but they are generally killed and used as fertilizer.  The idea is that eel lives mostly on the bottom, and should generally be avoided.  I did once catch a huge bastard when I was about 11 or 12; it was well over a meter long and as thick as my arm.  It totally freaked me out, and I got it off my line by cutting its head off with my knife.

While I said all this, Shin looked sullen silent and somewhat put out.  I think he may be sore at me.

Now, I do believe that stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping he won't hold a grudge against me and that his panties aren't in a knot about it.  From experience, these types of conversation never end well.  You can't win and its best to just smile.  When will I ever learn?

3 comments:

Beaner said...

Eel, yuck! Tastes like the bottom of nasty river mud.

I seriously get a kick out of wellbeing food. with as polluted the lakes and rivers are here it's probably pretty bad for you over time.

And you've worked with these asshats for how many years and their Kibun or butthurt as I call it is flared up because of an innane comment such as that? I was out Between Kunsan and Mokpo once with a bunch of Korean friends riding our motorcycles when they stopped at this eel restaurant and some, who BTW aren't around foreigners a lot or know of our mysterious ways, wondered why we weren't partaking in this fest of bottom feeder delight. Im and Ahn just stated that "they don't like it" was good enough. No harm no foul.

Gadfly said...

Amusing post, thanks. Jeez, I do miss being able to use sarcasm and fnarr-fnarr humour. Either it's totally lost on Koreans or they are offended. I'm sorry I don't leave many comments here though I read you blog regularly.

Please note:

it is really difficult for wordpress.com bloggers to post comments because of a problem on the blogger side. I have to log as a google user and then loose the link back to my blog.

You can check the string of comments about this problem at:

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/blogspot-blogger-not-accepting-my-wordpress-comments?replies=15

They suggest you change your setting to, name and url. I know it's a pain but I've spent ages trying to comment on blogger and just get stuck in a loop.

(Bathhouse Ballads at elwood5566.net)

F5Waeg said...

Apparently by simply clicking the 'anyone' option on comments, it automatically engages the name/url option. . .I've always had it set at that, so not sure what else the problem could be.

Sorry didn't respond sooner, your comment made the spam list which I just checked for the first time in forever.

Post a Comment