Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Goshiwon!

I'm writing this from one of the finest fake goshiwons in Wonju.  How do I know it's fine and fake?  It has it's own shower stall.

At least two of the women on this floor are working girls, or at least I can surmise from the late night traffic.  There is an English teacher from a common hogwon chain two floors down that is 'so happy my boss is finally giving me a decent place to live'.   I shouldn't mock, as I can say he is a real teacher, what with all the website stuff he's set up for his kids and what one of the Jungs tells me from her connections in the EPIK program.  I don't really want to hang out with him though, as he often waxes on about his 15 years working as a musician on cruise ships.

There is an intercity bus driver.  He really digs the changhwa.  I peeked at his recycling outside his door.

I stopped off at home and started another layer on the pinata, which brought the girls out.  I felt bad for giving the youngest a hard time for not really making an effort.  She did come out after all.  But all I could say was: what will you do when life presents you a real challenge?  We talked about rocket science, Einstein, and different types of intelligence.  This was poignant, as on the phone earlier when she asked what I was doing I explained and stated: are we done?  I think we're done.  She hasn't had the same focus the eldest enjoyed when I was still being New Dad.

Tired.  I'm into the bottle of 17 year old Ballentine's I recently received as a gift from clients.  It is good.

Almost ready for sleep.


3 comments:

Jake in Korea said...

Why the hell are you at a goshiwon in your own town?

Idiots of Korea said...

I was going to ask the same thing? Steppin' out on the wife are we? ;)

Idiots of Korea said...

Just read your comment on Jake's blog. It all makes sense now. Luckily, I haven't had to run away to a Goshiwon yet. (knocks on wood)

Post a Comment