Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Home!

Today was a total domestic holiday.

In the morning I went to the local Hanaro Mart grocery store and bought a chicken and some root vegetables. I threw it all in a pot and made a soup. It is fucking delicious. Daddy I'm hungry? Eat a bowl of soup with cheese and crackers. Luckily I hit the Costco on my way in to the dinner on Thursday. I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with how I was able to deal with all that before hitting the German restaurant.

I listened to June work hard to convince the girls they didn't want to go out with her. She said she was going to the library, but I insisted that she take them with her. If I'm going to be domestic guy, I don't want to see the girls zoned out in front of the idiot box all day. Besides, they could use some quality time with their mom.

While chopping up veg, I thought about how the girls now call her mom even when speaking Korean, and how they've adopted a number of regional colloquialisms from only a month back home. I'm sure the former will only last a bit longer. Still, not a bad result for the 8-9 grand I blew on the trip.

I tried hard to ignore how June has been riding me for going back home. She's justifiably concerned about retirement. The D word came up when talking about how with even what I'd give her if the split came, she'd be able to save money. So where are the savings now darling? Hurry up and get rich off your business so you can truly feel free and independent.

I cleaned the kitchen and took out the garbage. Then I watched The Rum Diary and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've gotten into the bottle of rye my aunt gave me, mixing Manhattans with the left overs The Professor left his last run through the Wonj. I'll take my liquor mixed with some liquor thanks. I'm almost out and must resist the urge to hit the town. These are times of austerity after all.

I've had several invites to hit the town the last couple of days. I'm all over that except I'm broke. I need to invest a pile in the next bit in professional development, and I'm worried about where I'm going to get it all.

Buy me drinks! I'll be marginally entertaining, correspondent with how much liquor you feed me.

I promised myself a while back that I'd try to not write so much about the stoopid shit between June and I.

The Korean netizens just eat that shit up. They love to see ijit white boy fail in their pure minjok homeland. It makes them feel bona fide.  Really it's just another boy / girl story.

2 comments:

Jake @ Expat Hell said...

Part of my retirement plan is to start a nursing home for aged, abused, neglected and/or financially drained waygook husbands. It will work similar to a reverse mortgage, and those without property can simply sign over their pension deposits. We'll have Filipino nurses, satellite TV (English, French and German) and residents can choose between hard liquor or heated floors to stay warm in the winter (but not both).

F5Waeg said...

Too funny, yet sadly this could very well be me.

Post a Comment