Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Eye!

Tonight I was the recipient of The Eye from some young punk at the grocery store.  The Eye usually involves being stared at with mockery or contempt, sometimes with outright hostility and hatred.  This variety was more of the former, flavored with some bemusement and a touch of incredulity.  I figure it was because I was inside wearing sunglasses, which on occasion has been the cause of receiving The Eye.

The Eye is nearly exclusively the province of the male, coming more often from the younger types.  The reasons they may have for giving the eye are speculative on my part, but then I don't really lose much sleep asking why.  Just par for the course for a waeg living in the ROK.

I was surprised that it was coming from a worker in the store as usually they're too busy genuflecting to bother.  I did what I usually do, which is smile, wave, and carry on.  I'm a busy guy.

I suppose I could take off my sunglasses when I go inside, but I'd rather not risk scratching up the lenses.  I had them replaced before heading back home.  Looking out through a scratched lens can really suck.

Time for some rice wine.

1 comment:

Roarchild said...

I once had 3 late teens/early 20's give me a suspicious look and then start whispering amongst themselves while looking at me.

I was bracing myself to ignore anything verbal and just keep on walking but prepare for a fight if they tried anything physical. I really thought they were going to have a shot at robbing me.

As I left I quickly learnt they were instead arguing over who should try and say hello to the foreigner :)

I have gotten the eye before, but far more regularily I get the "oh shit, I don't wan't to serve the foreigner" look and the "phew, it's over and I'm still alive" look afterwards.

At the local Lotteria (we don't have any other Burgers in a 10km radius) they often pull the burger flipper from out back because of his fancy foreign wrangling skills to serve while the girls scurry away to pretend to fix the ice cream machine.

Post a Comment