Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Surgery!

Word came in that my Mother-in-Law has taken a turn for the worse. 

She hasn't been staying with us for a few weeks now.  It was too much for her to be around young rambunctious girls all the time, so she went to stay with her sister.

Facts are still a bit scant at the moment, but what I've gotten so far is she'll require surgery.  It's expected to cost quite a bit, and we've been asked to pony up some.

This has put me in a bit of a spot.  What with paying off the loan on June's business and having just bought air tickets to head back home for Christmas, the gravy is already a little thin.  I've already canceled the rental car and eliminated other planned expenses.  Not sure where I'm going to get our full share of it, but I definitely don't want to be the only one to not contribute.  Just when money is tight, then comes Jesa, as Koreans say.

I hope she fully recovers.  She's a gem of a woman and has really helped us out over the years.  We'll be heading up to see her this weekend. 

4 comments:

JimmyKoreander said...

Hang in there. Koreans often consider their "Changmoo-neems" as a pain in the ass. I, as a Dutch guy married to a Korean lady, consider her as a local mother. I know she cares for me and loves me. I do the same for her. When her time would come, I will open my wallet

F5Waeg said...

thanks. I know I got lucky with my Mother-in-Law, she's pretty cool, and I've had no issue helping her out over the years. . . right now a lot of expenses have come in at once, and her bill will be quite high is all.

Robert Koehler said...

It's a bit late, but hope she makes a speedy recovery.

F5Waeg said...

Thanks. She has told us to not come this weekend as there are already too many people around. Despite our protests, she's been insistent about it. She's not the kind to expect attention of that sort, and would rather we spend the time in happier pursuits. We did get her to agree on the weekend after, but knowing her, she'll probably tell us not to come. Let's see what happens.

Post a Comment