Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dinner!

June cooked pig.  It was delicious.  We also had soft tofu soup left over from breakfast, rice, steamed broccoli and cabbage, chillies.   The last chilli I ate was fine until the last bite when it completely lit my mouth on fire.

Before cooking the pig, June put some flour on it.

When I asked her about the flour, she said it was to make it more tender.

The girls said: flower?

Sure, flour.  They rushed to the stove to take a look.

Ahhh!  Flour!  I thought you said flower!

Yeah, I knew you thought flower.  That's what's called a homonym.  Flour / Flower.  Right / Write / right.  In Korean, Cha / cha / cha, or mal / mal.

I didn't make the distinction between a homophone.

Still, they got it.  As to my lecture on understanding context, we'll see how that takes hold.

This is what you get when you've been an English teacher for 12 plus years.

I'm about to clean the kitchen.

But first, some rice wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment