Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Breakfast!

One common complaint in the waegosphere is how difficult it can be to find a decent western style breakfast if you live too far from Seoul.

A typical Korean breakfast can take some getting used to for many waegs, as they generally balk at eating soy bean paste soup, kimchied radish, marinated shredded beef, pork spine stew or the like first thing in the morning.  These waegs will often note that there is usually little difference between the kinds of food you'd eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  This is generally true.

Not this waeg. I have come to embrace the pure awesomeness of all things Korean, including the fabulous offerings that can make a Korean breakfast!

This morning June actually made me breakfast, a rare thing indeed: it was leftover pork spine stew from a couple of days ago.  Usually I take care of myself, and most weekends I do a lot of the cooking, so I was pleasantly surprised.  She had even set it up nice, using a porcelain chopstick rest under the special silver plated chopsticks I received last year.

It was delicious.

See how much I like you? she said.

As I'd given her a vigorous seeing to early this morning, I winked and said you certainly like something over here. She blushed and giggled.

See the happy matrimonial bliss you too can enjoy if you simply eat the right foods?

Time for coffee.

5 comments:

EatTHIS said...

korean breakfast is SHIT. it makes me furious just thinking about it.

F5Waeg said...

I used to think this way. Drink the coolaid brother.

Susan said...

Many younger Koreans have changed their diet tastes and would agree that the traditional breakfast is too heavy. Korean breakfast is usually just left overs and recycled kimchees that revisit the table. The soups tend to be left over meats and fishes. My friend calls it "barbarian food."

Anonymous said...

Lol...
first time i've seen (read) you two in such a mood...
although who knows what's behind it...

good for you F5Waeg...


and i believe Korean breakfast depends very much on who cooks it :)
more like.. who the wife/mother is...

F5Waeg said...

aw shucks. They are in here if you really want to dig.

Post a Comment