Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Reading Time!

The eldest loves to read.   She's at a pretty high level in Korean, chawing through three or four good sized books a week.

Lately she's been into Harry Potter.  She's already read the first two in the series.  Not bad for a second grader.

Sadly she hasn't been reading a whole lot in English, and I've found myself giving her a hard time about it more than I should.

I point out to her that many of her friends pay a lot to learn English; she's lucky to have someone at home who can help her with that all the time.  But she still has a hard time getting through the Dr. Seuss and Magic Tree House.

So tonight was The Big Read In.  I put my ET skills to use and made a game: I gave the girls words and sentences appropriate to their ages; if they could read it without mistakes, they got to move ahead, the number of mistakes limiting the amount they could move on the board.  I put Whopper candies on certain spots, which when they reached that spot allowed them to eat a decreasing number of Whopper deliciousness.

They had a blast and were wired for sound until about an hour ago.  Game needs some refining, but we'll play it again soon.  I don't really have a choice in the matter as they've demanded a rematch.  The youngest won the most.

Maybe next time I'll use fruit instead.  That may of course just ruin it, but then learning shouldn't be solely an instantaneous reward pursuit.

Time for some Max.

1 comment:

Tools For English said...

Thanks, I like this post it is very good and informative. I am sure that this post will be very helpful..

tools for english

Post a Comment