Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Me and My Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point. I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

Today I was feeling kinda snarky, and I should have just holed up in my office and got my work on.

Around the water cooler one of the ladies went on about a new sweet potato diet she's trying. Apparently, you can lose a lot of weight quickly by eating only sweet potatoes whenever you're hungry.

I threw up a little in my mouth listening to her describe the diet while watching her eat sweet potato. Personally, I don't find sweet potato all that great; it took every ounce of will to not spew all over her at the thought of eating nothing else but sweet potato while watching her cram one in her mouth. What can I say? I like variety in my foodstuffs.

She saw my discomfort and laughed. Waeg, what's the matter? You don't like Korean sweet potato?

My eye twitched slightly. No, I'm not a big fan of American sweet potato. Yams are a bit easier to stomach. I do like the greens though.

sweet potato pizza.  worst.  invention. evar.
This isn't American, this is grown in Korea.

Sure, I meant where it originates. They have 5000 years of history. Apparently it came to Asia a long time ago with the Polynesians. In fact, it's considered possible evidence for trans-pacific voyages, as someone would have had to bring it back with them. It's not in the same category as tomato, tobacco, corn, potato, or chillies; those were brought over only within the last two-three hundred years at best.

How come you know so much about sweet potato?

I wrote a paper on human migration back in uni.

Our conversation ended there, and she did not look too happy and seemed put out.

Now, I do believe that stupidity is a universal human constant, and I'm hoping she won't hold a grudge against me and that her panties aren't in a knot about it. From experience, these types of conversation never end well. You can't win and its best to just smile. When will I ever learn?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

some of my old co-workers were not impressed when i responded to their question about whether or not i could eat spicy food.

i made the horrible mistake of explaining to them that 고추 came from japan through the portuguese/spanish. being of iberian descent, of course i could handle such foods. they were unimpressed. i guess the japan titbit was the tipping point.

Anonymous said...

You do realize that there are many kinds of sweet potato. The variety grown in Korea is probably unique

F5Waeg said...

to first anonymous: been there, done that. That one is always a fun one.

to second: nomenclature of the subspecies? I am seriously interested.

Beaner said...

If they can't handle the truth when it slaps them in the face all the better I say. Now I say that because I'm a man of simple truthes, if their Ki Bun can't handle smashing their sacred beliefs about Koreaness then so much the better. I say that because I don't work with korean Koreans, I work with American Koreans and an Aussie Korean in my motorcycle club that aren't as delusional as their motherland cousins. I guess I'm just an ass too.

David tz said...

c'mon, you should know by now that everything eaten, consumed and bought in Korea is invented and made in Korea, regardless of historical fact or logic.

F5Waeg said...

nothing wrong with being an ass from time to time. . .

Luckily, there are many Koreans who don't think that way. I also have hope for the younger generation. More Yuhaks please!

Post a Comment