Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

At the Grocery Store!


This morning I went out to the grocery store to pick up a few things. At the fish counter, I asked for 300 grams of oysters. I love oysters.

The guy looked at me funny. Do they eat oysters in your country? Sure dude, they do; in fact they're considered a luxury. Oysters in Korea are cheap comparatively, and usually they're already shucked and ready to eat.

He seemed truly bemused by the whole idea of people eating oysters in a western country.

While driving home, I didn't think about the screwy myopic ideas some people have about folks in other places. I thought about my dad. When I was preparing to come to Korea oh so many years ago, he pointed at the sweaters and winter gear I was packing. You aren't going to need that in Korea he said. I assured him winters got cold there since it was fairly mountainous. This seemed very novel to him at the time.

I remind myself from time to time that this captures the essence of the human condition, and thus avoid laughing in the face of people who talk about four distinct seasons, how the best rice in the world comes from Icheon, how western people are X,Y and most obviously Z. It helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

Time for coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment