Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Happy 1 year!

Well it's been a year that I've been writing about the mundane boring details of my rather simple life as an expat in the ROK. 

In that time I've written 744 posts.  Many of those were filler, some actually had some meat on em, while others found their way out of the upper pits of hell.  I had been aiming for 1000, but three posts a days is a hard pace.  I blame work and family.

I started writing partly out of a need to just write, mostly out of a desire to work out why my life wasn't as exciting as some of the more vitriolic, virulent and vilifying stereotypes about waegs on this here fine peninsula make it out to be.  Whether I was successful or not depends on your point of view.  My life is far too boring and insipid compared to the idea of the waeg in popular consciousness.  I am a bit cheesed by that, and think that a bunch of us waegs should get together and demand the awesomeness that has been ascribed to us!  We want free money without obligation, and women (men if that is your thing) lining up outside our doors begging to use us as a temporary accessory!  Those would be great perks for having spent 11 of my more productive years shilling plastic.

Instead, I work a middle management type of job, live a middle class kind of life, married with kids, climbing the ladder despite knowing there is a very real glass ceiling just up ahead.  I rarely go out, most of my time shared between family, work, various hobbies and social obligations.  I've had ups and downs, and kept it steady most of the time.  I provide a decent life for my family, and I've often had the best interests of Korea in mind.  Like anywhere, some days are a little too rough, some things are too hard to swallow.  C'est la vie.

Here, there, it all becomes sort of the same now don't it?  Things are partly what you make em to be.  There are things that definitely suck, which is why I'll be sending the girls back home at some point, but those will be other stories for another time.

Where I'm going with this now I'm not sure.  Part of me wants to pack this up and move on to other projects, bring some other things up to speed. Another part of me wants to raise or lower the bar and go for one more term!  I've decided I like writing mindless, ill conceived, and poorly executed drivel though.  We'll see.

In any event, happy 1 year!

3 comments:

Jake said...

Congratulations. I think you should rent out a wedding hall, and throw a party for everyone who has an "F" on their visa. Keep on truckin'.

Sean said...

Don't forget about the open bar at the wedding hall. If there is an open bar I'm totally there.

Ben said...

Your drivel is tops! Keep it coming!

Post a Comment