Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Halloween!

After an intense and highly productive week, I walked into the weekend completely unprepared for Halloween.

I woke up this morning completely discombobulated: I knew I didn't have to go into work, but felt as if I was supposed to. I did some work from home, but still a sense of unease filled me all morning as I felt I should be in the office. Around noon things evened out a bit after I'd filed the last of my reports on the company server.

June and the girls had carved the pumpkin without me, and while I did think about trying to find another so I could do one with them, 9:30 at night is a bit late to find a nice grandmother selling her delicious orange pumpkiny wares. By the time the afternoon rolled around, I started to work on the girls' costumes: the youngest done up as a mummy, the eldest as a vampire. Now this is more to my liking, enough of that ballerina and ghost stuff.

I painted the youngest's face with white, deep black around the eyes. She freaked out and wasn't calm until we'd washed it all away. The eldest was greatly pleased with her white complexion and blood dripping mouth and eye.

When the party started, one of the waeg dads didn't show up. The smart money is that he had a serious spat with his wife and refused to come. He's also PrettyDamnBusy, working full time, doing extras on the side, finishing up a PhD. His wife is pretty nice, but is rather exacting. She and June share some similar traits, but I have to admit June doesn't ride me so much, in all senses of the meaning.

I felt lame at the party. The other waeg dads were pretty much the same. All the fathers were completely wiped out and couldn't bring their regular spark that has often characterized these kinds of things. I don't think the kids really noticed, but the dads did, and collectively there was a feeling of sadness and mute resignation. The moms were somewhat more enthusiastic, but they too are all carrying pretty heavy loads.

We all promised to make a better go of it next year. I'll drink to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment