Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Free Food

poor old Korean
This morning leaving for work I was really surprised to see this old guy picking through the food garbage outside the apartment. I stopped to watch him for a few minutes as he carefully went through each bin, placing some items into a plastic bag.

Usually, Korean people are so giving and helping of one another that this kind of situation is almost unimaginable.

Thus I thought for a moment he must be a hogwon English teacher bent on saving some cash, but when he turned around I saw he was way too old and way too Korean.

He might have been collecting stuff for a home composting experiment, but he did stay near the tops of the bins and only seemed to grab relatively fresh stuff.

I will admit back in my youth exploring the wonderful world of dumpster diving outside grocery stores as a means to rebel against the system and because I was also flat broke; you can't do that anymore as the shops back home now generally have sealed dumpsters. Most Korean stores don't put any food waste into their trash, so there aren't many options for senior citizens or other folk on extremely limited budgets.

Makes me almost too upset to finish my second helping of chicken soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment