Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Single Malt!

I'm a big fan of single malt whiskeys. Back in the day I used to help organize whiskey tasting events and became quite knowledgeable about the different varieties and whiskey producing regions.

I once won a whiskey selling contest at a bar I worked at. The person who sold the most Johnny Walker Red would win a bottle from a list provided at the beginning of the contest. One of the bottles was the single malt Cardhu.

This was no small task. Selling Johnny Walker red is a hard sell any day of the week. The Green or the Blue is much easier.

But I won. When it came time to collect I was informed I could have some of the dirty shit but not the Cardhu. I ended up taking a bottle of Bells instead.

From that point I refused to push any Johnny Walker product. This went on until a coworker brought me back a bottle of Royal Lochnagar last week.

This is the stuff that makes the base for all Johnny Walker blends.

I've been working my way through the bottle.  It's not bad, and is a special treat.  And oddly I don't feel like that much of a sell out.

Must be getting old.

Time for coffee.

3 comments:

Rusty Shackleford said...

Bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black coming through duty free. It is probably one of the most retched things I have ever tasted. I ended up just making white Russians out of it.

It tastes like generic whiskey with a load of liquid smoke poured in. It has no discernible flavour except alcohol and smoke. I genuinely enjoy Walker Black, but what ever this "double black" malarkey is can go to hell.

F5Waeg said...

I'm not a big fan of the super smoky scotches either. . .anything too peaty makes me wretch.

Anonymous said...

Bell's is alright, tastes like toffee, if you put your mind to it.
Whiskey is generally too warm a drink for me, but I do like a peaty drink on occasions.Orlay Islands/Isles?. Generally I'd settle on Cragganmore which I guess is middle of the road. Glenlivet will do too. I like Vodka and Aakvavit more.
As for JW...don't care for it much though I always check it out at duty free. Rather have a Jamesons or Tullamore Dew.

Post a Comment