Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, September 26, 2011

A Case of the Mondays

Not one of mine, taken from here
It's Monday morning and I don't feel like doing a damn thing. Instead of working, here's a fish story:

To preface, I got pretty hammered Saturday night. I stayed up late tending the fire and fishing in a lake that once was the Wonj's main water supply. This doesn't really have much to do with the rest of the story, except that it may have been what prompted me to stay up so late.  But what the hey, let's throw it out there anyway.

I caught a few chub and another half dozen sleeper fish.

First time catching goby. Weird fish. The guys next to me had 8 lines out between the two of them and caught nearly 60 fish. I started to get fishing gear envy, but squashed it as I'm not about to get into that whole scene of buying 200 manners worth of fishing gear to catch bottom feeders, but I digress.

I nearly fell and broke my neck at one point.  I figured it was a good idea to pack it in at that point.  It was around 3:30 am, and I was out of soju and nearly out of beer anyway.

Of course June and the girls got up at sunrise.  June was miffed that I hadn't kept all the fish so she could make soup.  The biggest sleeper was near 7 inches, but I gave em all to the other guys.  After spending so much time down by the water, I started to feel the smell that was coming off of it.  Rank age funk.  The raw sewage and copious amounts of algae added appropriate visual elements.  This smell permeated my clothes and stayed with me even when I got home.  Anything that lives in that shouldn't be eaten.  The guys were happy and shared some rice cakes and ramen with the girls.  I made sure we left before they cooked up the stew.

We did stop at a new awesome barley rice bibimbab place just outside of the Wonj.  For seven chonners it was seriously fantastic, and the restaurant was done up as a fairly authentic traditional Korean house.  Next time, I'll try their black hen medicine soup.

Once home and done cleaning out the car, I crashed pretty hard.  I woke up again around 11, then went back to sleep at about 1:30.  I dreamt of meeting folks back home.

Time for coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment