Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Straightening Out!


It was the longest time I'd been unemployed in my adult life.  Even going to school I'd worked in bars, scored research or teaching assistant gigs, but this was something else.  I had some money and when that ran out I'd do some small shit thing like collect bottles or clean a theater to get enough for more beer or smoke.  It was truly a low point in a way, and looking back I know how lucky I am to have the friends I do.It was the longest time I'd been unemployed in my adult life.  Even going to school I'd worked in bars, scored research or teaching assistant gigs, but this was something else.  I had some money and when that ran out I'd do some small shit thing like collect bottles or clean a theater to get enough for more beer or smoke.  It was truly a low point in a way, and looking back I know how lucky I am to have the friends I do.

It wasn't one particular event that brought me back into focus; I just woke one morning and knew it was time to get back on that horse.  I was tired of leeching off of friends and doing shit with my days.  Within a couple of weeks I was tending bar at a trendy spot.  A few weeks later saw me prepping for classes I was to teach at a local uni.  Another few weeks and I was at banks discussing home loans.  I was working 60 plus hours a week and loving it.

Mostly.

Buying a house was a big step.  I knew that it meant an end to easy mobility; I'd gotten a good taste of walkabout, and knew there was still a big world out there with many interesting people to meet.  I chased these thoughts away with the specs on my new patio, whether I could make enough by renting the place out to buy a second house, what kind of car I should buy.   I was on the right path, doing it the way it's supposed to be done.  Life was swell.
And that's when M came back into town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought this post was going to be about how you found god and were going to quiy boozin'

Post a Comment