Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Famous!

seorak mountainAfter a famously windy night, we packed up early and headed back to the Wonj.

I had a momentary bitch season while trying to load the famvan. The asshat who moved in next to us yesterday, the very same one who I helped set up his tent in the rain, had taken both parking spots for our respective sites.

After momentarily entertaining the idea of sticking a couple of nails under his tires, I went back to it with June and got the site picked up in about 90 minutes.

We took the 44 back. Driving through Seorak is pretty nice. We stopped at a spot that was famous for having had the road knocked out by a fairly massive landslide back in 2006, with huge boulders falling from the top of the mountain.

Traffic became insane when we met up with the 46, so it was down the 31 to Changchon. That road is famous for rafting.

Everyone was asleep in the famvan. I wanted to sleep too. I had to stop a couple of times for breathers. Luckily, some well meaning Korean drivers decided to help me stay on top of my game by randomly stopping in the middle of the road to look at famous cows or a famous river or the sign for some famous drama that was filmed in 1976. I love how every nearly famous drama filming location gets government dollars to build a nice road and put up signs, all as a means to promote the Korean Wave. I'm not sure how many Japanese or Chinese tourists are aware of that particular drama as it was only famous in the 70s. The two famous drama sites I've visited over the years were primarily crowded with Koreans and at best a sprinkling of waeg, but I digress. I nearly rear ended one guy who suddenly stopped to look at a famous chili field, but it certainly was kind of him to help me stay awake like that. Let no one tell you that Korean drivers are self centered or clueless!

We stopped for chicken soup at a famous restaurant back in the Wonj. Some adjusshi sitting across from us was being very vocal about how the Americans should have drawn the line further north near the famous city of Kaesong when taking over from the Japanese in '45. I guess it must have something to do with today being famous as liberation day.  June commented that she hadn't wanted to sit where we were, and how we should have sat closer to the TV as a famous comedy show was on. I ignored them both and kept thinking about the wonderful cooking skills of the chicken soup adjumma, who could create such a heavenly bowl of soup primarily due to the famous sweet, tender and sensitive Korean female nature.

When we got home I crashed hard for a few hours after cleaning out the bags and coolers. June got temporarily mad when she ended up getting stuck with dishes and vacuuming, but then seemed to remember that she slept famously for near three hours in the car and left me in peace.

Just finished throwing a load of laundry in the machine, a famous contraption that is supposed to be environmentally friendly since it doesn't use much water. I'm about to cook up some ramen for the girls. We didn't eat any ramen on the camping trip, so they were clamoring for it. It was a compelling argument.

June is asleep, the girls are fed. 

Time for some Max, famous Korean beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment