Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Gayageum Committee!

Tonight I had to go to the youngest's kindergarten to join the educational planning committee. 

I've been shirking my responsibilities for quite some time.  The maintenance guys took advantage of me showing up to book me for a weekend in August to work on the roof.

Tonight's big decision was on whether or not we should extend the music teacher's part time contract.  One of the mom's has a friend she wants to replace the old teacher with.

I'm all for nepotism.  You can't live in Korea for any length of time and succeed without becoming versatile in it.  But the current music teacher is pretty awesome and the kids like her a lot.

I spoke out against changing for those reasons, and also that the new teacher wants more money.  Apparently she studied at some prestigious Korean classical music school and is a master of the gayageum, an instrument that is currently not taught at the kindergarten.

I did wonder why someone with such a pedigree would want to teach at some back water kindergarten, but I kept my mouth shut.  All I know is that a middling gayageum will set you back around 200-500 manners.  I'm ok with my girls not learning how to play it for now.

The nays for replacement took it.  I engendered the enmity of a couple of the moms in the process, but that's how the cookie crumbles.  I seem to be good at pissing off women of late.  Imagine what I could achieve if I really worked at it.

Time for some Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment