Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eagle!

Tonight after the extreme work weekend I hung out with one of the kindergarten fathers.  His nickname is eagle.

He's a couple of years older than me.  He has an advanced degree in chemistry.

He married late to a woman under less than desirable circumstances.  He and I have a certain affinity.

We ended the night avoiding what could have been a gang of Protestants at the only Irish pub in the Wonj.  They don't serve Jameson's so read into that what you will.

Being more Catholic in my perversity, I can still carry a conversation, but then I don't really give a fuck about that whole Irish thing despite having ancestry on both sides of the 'debate'.  I do think about it whenever Swift or a top 40 song comes up.

But I digress.

Eagle and I talked about Koreans and Women.  I had to repeatedly make the statement that we were really talking about people, which always generated great mirth and fun and agreement, except when he talked about Jeong Yak-yong.

He extrapolated on how important he was for Koreans.  I already knew that, but I wondered what this had to do with women.

It become apparent when he said that Dasan owed more to his older brother despite eclipsing him.  I got what he was saying and thought more about his own experiences.

Yeah, we don't always marry under the best of circumstances.  I get that.  And I get that the sexes can sometimes only find true knowledge and understanding amongst their own, an idea found throughout history in many cultures.

Yet I have no 'older brother' I'd care to listen to, and many of my best friends have been women.  I also have two girls that I love 1000% and will defend until the end.  So I'd disagree on principle from personal experience.

But I've got a wife who likes to take out her frustrations on those girls.  She also likes to sell herself and her business on the premise that she is married to an awesome, pure waeg that defies the common stereotype, one of the 'good' ones.  Yet she does not act as if I'm the One.

He didn't have too much to say on the topic.

So I'm thinking I'm locked in.  3-4 years ago, I could have walked out of here with the girls, and no court would have stopped me.

Since then, I've shown June trust by giving her the power to stop all that by investing in her business so she can be self sufficient, and have gotten a steaming pile of shit in return.

Just keep being a man and deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment