Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Camping 1.5!

Yesterday was marked by emotional turbulence.

First thing yesterday morning I handed Mr. Jeon a USB containing my 24 page power point presentation on the trip to London along with assorted photos and word documents breaking down each day of our visit.  I busted serious ass for the last few days to get it ready in time for the meeting yesterday

He looked somewhat confused and bemused and then said there wouldn't be time to give it.  Instead of flying off the handle, I just shrugged.  I already passed it along to the higher ups, so now its out of my hands.

Just as the meeting was starting I was told by Mr. Na I would have to give a seminar in Seoul during my vacation.  I day dreamed about my now destroyed summer vacation plans, but imagined what kind of insanity I could get up to during that time in Seoul away from the fam.  I imagined riots, looting and pillaging in the streets of Itaewon, Hongdae and Shinchon.  Woo!

After the meeting a higher up Mr. Kim said I wouldn't have to give the seminar and in fact he was giving my team the rest of the day off and a half day today.  Come in the afternoon we were advised.

???  Um, ok, you don't need to tell me twice.  Three of us decided spontaneously to head off into the woods and camp, fish, generally misbehave.  Loading up on meat and beer at the closest supermarket, we called our significant others and drove off into the mountains.

This is why its a great idea to keep your camp gear in the car, but I digress.

We shared war stories, complained about idiocy in general, drank a ton of beer, grilled meat, swam, fished.  We crawled into work around noon.  No one said a word.

This afternoon was not productive save a couple of hours when I first got in.  The rest of the afternoon I hid in the resting room and napped.

On my way out today, Mr. Kim very delicately asked if we could come in on the weekend to help finish up a special project before I went on vacation.  Aha, so that's why you gave us the day.  No problem.  Yes, we had a great time camping by a river thanks.  Sure, I'll see you tomorrow.

That place is pretty damn strange sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment