Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Oasis!

When it got down to it, I didn’t know if going to see K was such a good idea.  I’d known her for years, consider her my best friend, but heading back that way would have consequences. 

These became apparent soon enough.  I lucked out and covered 800 miles in less than three days, expedited by the land. 

K and her man were surprised when I showed so early in the afternoon.  They welcomed me, I shared food, talked of the concert.  I told them what I could of my story, and when K’s man went out she asked:

So how are you?  

It had been awhile since anyone had asked me that.  I was steeled, hardened, everything is fine.

She looked right through me.

She knew, knew I needed time.  The thing we have most in common is intuition, something that can’t be stated in simple terms. 

Take the spare room, stay a while.  There are a lot of people here who would love to see you.   Unless you really need to be somewhere else.

You know, maybe I will. 

I went and bought some beer, food, smoke.  I’d gotten a taste, and liked what I found.  Staying a while was a good idea, amongst friends and those I loved.  I still had a couple of months before the PHD, and here there were books to read, people to see, time to sort things out.

I stayed six months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

800 miles in 3 days, by camel?

F5Waeg said...

hitchhiking on back roads, most rides are short ones

Post a Comment