Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Pathos

pansori seopyeonje
Having been a good worker drone this morning, I decided to watch a movie during lunch that a coworker gave me called Seopyeonje.

He knows I like pansori, and said I'd probably be interested in the film.

Now I feel dispirited and have melancholy all over me.

I'll give it to Koreans: they're damn good at pathos, a particularly deep and enduring variety.

Maybe that's why I find Korean comedy to be general bland and vapid.  I have met some very humorous folk, but they aren't comic.   

I like being surprised from time to time, learning and gaining insights into Korea that I didn't have before.  This film did that. 

If you'd rather be light and fluffy, don't watch this and stick with kitten videos.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go spike my coworkers coffee with something nasty for making the rest of my afternoon unproductive.

No comments:

Post a Comment