Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Old Hand!

lamb
One of the waegs I work with has lived in Korea for 20 + years.  He came back in the day to marry a fine lady he had met back in the UK.

He speaks Korean fairly well.  He took Korean citizenship and a Korean name long ago.

He's always been a bit distant, not really offering much in terms of insight or advice when I first started working the biz.  We had a bit of a falling out a while back.  We've since mended and are beginning to actually get to know one another better.

One thing I've begun to notice however, is how his worldview is quite . . . unique.

He has held three different passports in his day, speaks half a dozen languages fluently.  He worked academia for a few years but gave it up due to the white tile ceiling.

I like the guy well enough, and look forward to getting to know him better.  But I'm not sure understanding him fully will ever be possible.

Whether or not it was his years here that gave him his rather particular perspective, or the experiences of his youth, I can't say.  I do know that he prefers to speak Korean whenever possible and raised his children purely in Korean.  He has mentioned before that he regrets never having taught them other languages when they were growing up.  When he told me this, I was truly amazed: I spend a great deal of time and energy encouraging my kids to learn English, as I want them to know and be proud of everything they are.

He wrote me an email a few days ago I've been reflecting on.  I should respond tonight.

After cooking dinner and having some Max of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment