Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Meltdown!

This morning I lost it on one of the cleaning ajummas.  She has often given me a hard time in the past; the last time was when she found a few coffee grinds in a backed up sink.  I dump all my grinds in the trash and then wash out the reusable filter, so some do find their way down the pipe.  It wasn't what caused the clog, but she still insisted it was me that made the problem.

Usually I just ignore her tirades as the misguided rants of a poorly educated crazy woman; she has to deal with a lot of shit, why piss on her and make her life more miserable? 

This morning I snapped.

Last week about 80 people came to attend a seminar at work.  There were a few waegs.

Many were smokers.  They left cigarette butts everywhere.

This morning, the cleaning lady came out while I was enjoying a butt.  She immediately started to berate me:

Why do you leave your cigarette butts everywhere??!  Clean this up!

In response, I pulled out 3 used butts from my pocket.  Wasn't me, I put all my butts in the trash.  It was all those people from the seminar last week.  I've worked here for years, have you seen any butts lying around?

She was unpersuaded.  You have to clean all that up, you and those others made that mess.

This cheesed me off.  I just looked at her and said in a slow, low voice: I'm sorry, but  your job is cleaning lady.  Do you really think I'm going to pick up all those butts?  If I wanted I could bring all the butts from my car and the big ashtray near maintenance and dump them all out here on the sidewalk, and it would be your job to clean them up.  But you know I don't do that.  In fact I go to lengths to show respect for my workplace and the people I share it with by often picking up garbage and cleaning my office space, stuff that otherwise rarely gets down.  Now I suggest you go get that huge pair of tongs you use to clean up shitty toilet paper and do your job.

The last was said with some malice, and she looked as if she had been slapped in the face.  She turned about face and walked away muttering under her breath.  In retrospect, I should have been more cool.  Seeing as this is far from the first time she's come at me for some stoopid shit over which I have no control or involvement, enough is enough. 

I'm pretty sure I haven't heard the last of this.

1 comment:

spike said...

Good, that in retrospect you feel bad about going off on her, but don't. You didn't make the mess.

Who the fuck is she going to complain to about you? Unless she's the mother of the CEO's lovechild.

Post a Comment